Whether you spend most of your time at home or you work long hours outside and appreciate coming back every day to a place that is inviting and warm, having a home space that is beautifully decorated is something that you will never regret.
Decorating your space is one of the simple pleasures of life, and every time you give your space an aesthetic uplift, it feels like a new place. Whether you’re undertaking this huge project on your own or have hired decorators in London, there are certain things to be kept in mind that will stand in both situations!
Decorating a place can be a fascinating project to undertake, but it is a very physical project and comes with several safety hazards if you are not careful. It involves tall ladders, paint fumes, heavy furniture lifting, and nails on the wall! While a good quality decorator already knows how to take care of themselves, there are things that one can do as a homeowner or DIYer which can help in the overall picture.
Let us go through some of the decorating steps that you can consider for your house; while discussing the safety tips, there are some safety precautions that you might want to keep in mind.
Safety tips to keep in mind
- Painting safety: There is nothing that a lick of paint can’t solve when it comes to a house, people say, and there is a lot of truth to that statement! Giving your home a fresh coat of paint can instantly give it a new look and express your true personality. You will be surprised at the large selection of paint, wallpapers, and decals available in the market.
However, it is important to know the safety tips to keep in mind while doing a paint job. Some of the safety tips include ensuring adequate ventilation in the room, handling the ladder properly, using safe paint products, being careful around electrical outlets, and proper cleanup and safe storage of excess paint.
- Furniture and furnishings: While a room can be done up pretty with paint, it is just a room unless you add furniture and furnishings to it. Tasteful furniture can add personality and depth to a room, while aesthetic furnishing can soften up the hard edges making the room look more cozy and welcoming.
It is one of the most fun prospects of decorating, and the entire process of choosing furniture, matching them with the room, adding those carefully chosen furnishings, etc., is quite thrilling. But let it be noted that there are certain safety measures that you can take to execute this process without any hazards.
Furniture can be heavy, and be careful when dealing with them. Do not lift heavy furniture without help. Furnishings like rugs and carpets can be slippery, so make sure you choose the type which has an anti-skid layer in the lining.
- Hanging art: Now that the base decorating elements are taken care of, you can add some character to your home by investing in some artwork, photography prints, concert posters, or your favorite quotes. Not only does it keep your space from looking boring, but it also offers the perfect opportunity for homeowners to express themselves.
However, there are some safety precautions that you can take while hanging your artwork or your frames. Since you will be dealing with a hammer and nails, you must take special care to insert the nail on the wall. If not done correctly, you might end up dropping the hammer on your feet or hurting yourself as you hammer down the nail.
- Mirror safety: Mirrors can instantly open up a place significantly and make it look so much bigger. Whether you want to use a mirror for practical purposes, like in a bathroom or a vanity area, or looking for a mirror solely for decoration purposes, it will surely add a lot of dimension and openness to your home.
However, mirrors need careful handling. It is easy for a mirror to break and not only be a safety hazard but also be ruined. This is why it is imperative to handle a mirror with extreme care.
- Overhead installations: Overhead installations just mean any kind of installation which hangs from above like chandeliers, pendant lights, flower installations, etc. This kind of installation adds so much drama and opulence to a place that the difference made by this tiny addition is immense. Some overhead installations simply serve to collect gasps of awe, while others serve more practical purposes.
Whatever your overhead insulation’s purpose, it is sure to add a theatrical aspect to your home decor. However, there is a safety aspect that needs to be discussed in overhead installations. It is essential to be out of the way when the installation piece is being set up. Ensure that the overhead installation is secured and safely installed for the safety of the homeowners and the decorators.
- Call in the experts: Certain things can be handled by the homeowners, the DIYers, and the decorators. But even the most professional of home decorators might hit a roadblock and need to call in the experts, whether that is an electrician, a painter, or a plumber. If you have hit a problem area, the wisest thing to do is call the experts and let them look at it.
While the above-mentioned safety areas are crucial, it does not even begin to cover all the safety hazards and ways to prevent them. However, one of the most important things you can do is hire a professional home decorator to do the job. Not only have they done it many times previously, but they also have a crew of professional plumbers, electricians, painters, etc., who come with a plethora of experience and skills to offer. At GSD Painting and Decorating Contractors, we can offer incredible services to revamp your house. Visit our website https://www.gsdecorating.com/ to learn more.
GSD Painting and Decorating Contractors
Studio 3 231 St John Street London EC1V4NG
Find us on Social Media